Sunday, January 6, 2013

Big Boy Bed ... or NOT

We have been potty training Brody for about a month or so now. He is doing well and has few to no accidents during the day on most days.  But night time is a bit more of a challenge. He still is wearing pull-ups, which maybe is more of a crutch for me than anything. But, the thought of having to wash sheets every day has me still putting him in pull ups.

I thought that part of the problem might be that he is in a crib, and he cant get up to tell us when he needs to go. And for whatever reason, even though I tell him to yell for us, he just doesnt.  So I thought the big boy bed might be a could segway to becoming fully potty trained.

So the decision was made -- convert the crib to the toddler bed.

(Don't mind the mess!)





Bad Bad idea!!  Jeremy took it apart.  At first Brody was excited.  Bed time went okay at first.  But, after 15 minutes he was hysterical crying and ran to our room. He had wet and pooped himself. I cleaned him up, said it was okay and tried to get him to lay back down. He was not having it. The tears kept coming.  And he kept saying "my bed is broken, my bed is broken, FIX it!!" LOL. We had 3 hours of trying to lay with him, calm him, read him stories, play with the ipad, ANYTHING to fall asleep. And then I said forget it! Fix it!  And that is what we did. I guess he just wasn't ready. And I surely wasn't ready for what seemed like a crazy battle.  He has never tried to get out of the crib, so there is no safety issue.  So the crib it will be -- at least for a few more months, until we try again!

1 comment:

  1. Don't try it at night until he is dry in the morning. When Cassidy was 3 and a half I asked her why she still wet at night and she said" it was warm and cozy ' So don't rush the kid he will only be a baby for a short time.
    Love ya Aunt Gail

    ReplyDelete