Sunday, March 17, 2013

13.1

This weekend was the half marathon. I trained for it for the last 3 months. I was ready. Excited even. I prepared all of my stuff on Friday night.  Pinned on my bib, attached the tracker to my laces, got out my rain gear. I was ready to go!!

And then on Saturday morning at 3 am, I woke up with stomach cramps.  Maybe it was nerves I thought as I tried to fall back asleep. Oh no. No, it wasn't.  I spent the next 2.5 hours sick in the bathroom. I thought maybe it was something I ate on Friday? Praying it wasn't the pasta I fed the kids Friday night -- luckily it wasn't.   By 6am the sickness had subsided. I was tired, angry, frustrated, but determined. I kept telling myself I trained for too long to not even try and run.  Was I crazy? In retrospect -- Yes!  But, I have wanted this, and worked for this for too long to just roll over.  So off I went to the metro. The ride in was not fun. The train was crowded, I was hot, and I was doing everything I could not to puke on the guy next to me.

The train pulled into the station. It was mass chaos. SO many people. Around 30,000 were in the race.  I had to find a space in the corner of the metro station to sit down for a minute. I was light headed.  My friends called trying to find me -- minutes later we met up. They both told me I didn't have to do it. I shouldn't do it. I said I'd start off walking. See how it went. The cold air felt good. I felt like I could breathe again.  We all went to our corral, and we waited.  While waiting in line I started to feel sick again. I think it was claustrophobia that set it off with my already weak stomach ... and I needed to sit down again. I told my friends to go on without me and I sat on the curb. I was contemplating what to do.  After a few minutes I felt okay and decided I was going to try. If I had to stop, then so be it. So, I stood up and got back in to the herd with the rest of the runners.


 The next thing I knew the race had started and off I went.  I walked more than I ran. That was definitely not the plan - but under these circumstances I was glad to even be there. At the 7.5 mile marker I saw Brody and Jeremy. I stopped and sat with them for a few minutes. Brody was so sweet - cheering me on "Run, Mommy, Run -- Go, Mommy, Go!" That gave me more strength than I could have asked for.


so happy to see my boys
taking a breather mid race


Those last 6 miles were brutal. I battled nausea, found myself crying at points, and just walked my little heart out. It was a much more emotional experience than I ever would have thought.  Last weekend I ran 12 miles without a thought of a tear, and this weekend it was a fight of a lifetime.  I thought a lot about Nanny. Prayed for her strength. And honestly I felt her with me -- I didn't do that race alone.  I finished in 3hr 15 min.  Clearly not what I had hoped for -- but, grateful that I was able to complete it.


Sunayna and I showing off our medals


Hanging with my biggest fan on the grass after the race.

We all took the metro home. I took a hot shower and climbed back in bed. I got sick again that night. But, luckily I'm feeling better today.  Finally able to keep down some food.

Last week I found myself thinking -- this would probably be my one and only half marathon. But, now I feel like I need to do another one. I want to do another one. And this time be at 100%.  So that is my plan. I'm not sure when -- but it's going to happen!

Thanks to all of you who have supported me along the way!






2 comments:

  1. You are one determined chick!! I can't believe that you did that after being so sick! You go girl!! Did the rest of the family get sick too? Glad that you are feeling better.... CONGRATULATIONS on finishing the race! God Bless you!

    ReplyDelete